Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dangerous Energy Drinks

As working students and adults our lives can be hectic with school work, work, and spending time with family and other last minute things that come up unexpectedly. We find ourselves needing an extra boost to get us through the day. Many of us turn to as much as 4 cups of coffee a day and others turn to energy drinks.   Last week I was watching Fox News and a segment was about energy drinks and the dangerous risk of drinking them.  Energy Drinks such as Monster, Mountain Dew, and RockStar are very popular in the market with teens and young adults. Those drinks have more caffeine than a single cup of coffee.  Herbal stimulants, sugar, and other antioxidants is said to be harmful. There have been reports and cases of individuals who have consumed these drinks and suffered seizures, cardiac arrest, and mania. These individuals were healthy people engaging in their favorite sports.  Yes, this is scary but true. I use to drink energy drinks because I liked the taste as well. Since I seen this documentary I vowed never to drink another energy drink. I had a similar situation when I tried 5-hour energy. I was at work and so tired so I decided to purchase 5-hour energy.  I took a half of one and soon I started to feel really sick and my heart was racing (I barely ate breakfast that morning). I started to go to the hospital. I was told to drink water. A couple hours later I felt better and my heart beat was back to normal.  I decided that day on that I would get energy the natural way, in my diet and working out. Below is the link to read more.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/01/health/01brody.html

1 comment:

  1. If you're curious as to how much caffein is in different drinks try this link out: http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database

    ReplyDelete